Friday, October 12, 2007

Mums the Word


Last weekend we hopped in the car and meandered down the windy, hilly roads of north-western Connecticut. We brought a picnic lunch to Lake Waramaug in Litchfield County, and lounged on a small sandy beach watching brave people in bathing suits wade into the water. The sun warmed our backs as we nibbled on assorted delicacies and took in the stunning views: glassy still water; brilliant foliage dotting the hills; and cows. (Yes - cows. There is a cow pasture that sits on the northern edge of the lake.)

Who knows what awaits us this weekend. Will it be more leaf-peeping and country driving? Will we hit some farmstands and load up on apples, gourds, pumpkins and cider? Maybe it's time for hayride? A visit to a winery?

Welcome back, Autumn. So glad you're here.

7 comments:

Whirlwind said...

I love autumn and all the activities that go with it. It's welcome any time here!

Anonymous said...

I second that emotion!

I, for one, will be enjoying playoff games 1 and 2 at Fenway this weekend (with hubby)!

Go Sox!

Sharon - Pinks & Blues Girls

Anonymous said...

Ah, you came to my neck of the woods. I'm also glad to see that Autumn is finally here.

Amy Linder said...

Georgeous mums! I love the color. Hubby, Sweetie and I were in So. Western CT this past weekend (in Southbury) for a family wedding. It was a lovely wedding in a perfect New England Autumn setting, complete with beautiful weather.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Amy

Life As I Know It said...

I love fall as well. I find myself baking apple crisps and pumpkin bread. September is probably the best month weather-wise, AND the kids go back to school ;)

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

Ooh! Pretty flowers. I've been too sick to go out and buy mums or pumpkins. But this weekend there will be mums. Oh yes, there will be mums.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

That photo is gorgeous! My mums look NOTHING like that!