Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mama

I fully admit that I am a bit of an outlier here, as my blogging tendencies don't tend to run in the mommy realm. I blog, and I'm a mom - but often the twain do not meet. That said, I feel that here I can let my mommy flag fly - and so I shall.

In a similar vein, I work, and I'm a mom. I don't often think of myself as a "working mom" because I tend to feel like when I am at work, I'm a worker. When I'm home, I'm a mom. Compartmentalizing? I think so.

Often I am asked why I work. The short answer? I love work. I have worked for a long time, I've built a pretty substantial career and I've gone far - much further than I would have imagined and I've blazed a pretty significant career path. I jumped off the path for about a year, and now that I'm back on it, I'm thrilled. I'm lucky, though, in that I can work from home and strike a decent balance. I digress, though, from the point of my story.

All summer long, I have been toiling away on an enormous project at work - with an eye towards presenting this project to our entire staff. To make a long story short, last week I gave this presentation - complete with a 100-page handbook that I had written, 4 hour professional development presentation that I had developed, multi-faceted power point that I had crafted, you get the picture. Driving home, I felt this huge sense of relief - and accomplishment. Months of hard work culminating in an extraordinarily well-received day-long event run by me. My boss was thrilled.

I was thrilled. I am a worker! I love work!

Driving along, feeling fantastic, I pulled into my daughter's school parking lot. I walked through her classroom, signed her out and gathered her sweater and often-abandoned hair ribbon. I walked out onto the playground and spotted my little doll.

She screeched with glee and came barreling into my outstretched arms, snuggling into my shoulder. Mama.

That one moment eclipsed the highest work high I had felt in a long time.

I was thrilled. I am a mama. And that? Trumps work every time.

11 comments:

Mrs Big Dubya said...

Amen

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I'm loving this post. It's important to remember that as women we can be everything and do everything we want, and as mothers our kids are above all the most precious of our accomplishments.

Did I just say "precious"? I think this motherhood thing is getting to me. ;)

Sarahviz said...

So so true Erin. Great post.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this post!

Southern Cupcake said...

In agreement I only have one word: Awesome.

Flamingos & Flip Flops said...

Isn't it great to get that welcoming hug/tackle? Those are the moments that I wish would last forever!

sandy shoes said...

What a great day.

Gift of Green said...

There is nothing more satisfying for me than (finally) sitting down on the couch after tucking the kids in bed after a (long) day with them. I've never felt that same sense of satisfaction after a (long) day at work, that's for sure!

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Gosh, I remember what it felt like to finish a major work project---I used to walk on cloud 9.

I also remember when I as single, walking through the airport with a co-worker after a business trip. We saw her little girl waiting for her at the gate. The little girl ran straight for her mom and leapt into her arms, covering her mama's face with kisses. It was then that I thought, "ahhhhh, that is what is so special about kids"!

Ruth Dynamite said...

A happy balance - that's the goal. Congrats on your work/family success!

TCP said...

Perfect day, when the best of both worlds collide.