Saturday, October 13, 2007

Blame It On The Rain

I sit down at my beloved Dell keyboard ready to write something genius. Mind blowing. Artful. Insightful. Inspirational.

Today will be my day.

My fingers freeze. I see the letters and keys in front of me, but my hands are stuck. They tremble over the laptop buttons, but can't find their way through the maze of letters.

Paralyzed.

I have no choice but to force my fingers to type. Something. Anything.

Tap Tap Tippity Tap

But all that appears on the screen is crap crap crappity crap.

Backspace. Backspace. Backspace. Backspace. Backspace. Backspace.

Start again.

Click clack clack click.

Still crap.

Do I get up and do something else? Do I make myself write even though nothing of substance comes out?

Why is it that on some days the words flow so effortlessly it's as if my mind has been storing up creative thoughts for an eternity. The thoughts pour out of my head and onto the screen like warm honey. So sweet and delicious are my words. MY words. They fit together perfectly. I see my voice on these days.

But there are Other Days too.

Oh, are there Other Days.

Other Days where my mind is blank.

Where the most interesting thing that I write is my grocery list.

Milk, Juice, Cold Cuts, Bread, Cheerios, Yogurt, Pancake Mix, Chicken nuggets.

Yep, that pretty much sums up my daily existence on Other Days.

As frustrating as they are, I try my best to wait out those Days. Hope they pass quickly. Pray that the Warm Honey days out number the Grocery List Days.

If I wait long enough and pretend that I don't care (but, oh, how I DO care!) the Grocery List Days usually come to an end. Which makes the honey all the more sweeter.

Unfortunately, I've been having a Grocery List Day for the better part of two weeks.

I blame the rain. Damn, New England weather.

4 comments:

Ruth Dynamite said...

Creativity is a wily beast. She emerges in spurts but only when she's ready. In the meantime, at least you can get your grocery shopping done.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

We all have those days---it seems to hit me more as the seasons change, maybe b/c I'm getting ajusted to new things?

Major Bedhead said...

What a great expression. I've been having a lot of those lately, too. Horrible.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but you've given the rest of us no excuses on this glorious Sunday in New England!

Sharon - Pinks & Blues Girls